28 November 2012

France and the veil – the dark side of the law

In 2004, France introduced the law on “secularity and conspicious religious symbols in schools” which banned wearing conspicuous religious symbols in French public primary and secondary schools.

Its supporters argued that this was keeping with the long-established principle of laïcité – the separation of Church and State – but it was clear to all that Muslim girls were the principal target of the law. How did this happen and what does it tell us about contemporary France? A story in five parts.

[A COMMENT] I totally disagree with much of this article, as a Muslim woman raised in a European country but by liberal parents. The enemy of Muslim women is fundamentalist Islam, pure and simple.

I never wear a headscarf nor does anyone in my family, except as respect when we go to certain homes or I visit certain countries. I am broadly in favour of the French ban, and I believe the ban on face veils should be extended to the UK where I live, since I find it backward and offensive, and mostly the uniform of over-zealous converts or salafists. It disturbs me that the veil is seen as a badge of being a good Muslim these days - and I am talking about inside the Muslim community. [openDemocracy] Read more