04 July 2014

I am Muslim and Republican – and was attacked by people in my party

.... Yes, I am Muslim, and I am a Republican – and that's why I was at the Heritage Foundation panel on Benghazi last month, where I asked the now-infamous question about how conservatives deal with the vast majority of people of my faith who are peaceful. Americans don't expect minorities – especially Muslims – to be Republicans, and it happens often in conservative circles that I am the only Muslim woman in the audience.

I became Republican because I felt that my Islamic values – pro-life, pro-traditional family, pro-business, pro-trade – aligned best with the Republican party platform. I identified as a Democrat for several years when I was younger, but found it hard to defend liberal values as they were so often in conflict with my deeply-held beliefs.

[A COMMENT] You come across as a muddled individual politically blinded by your religious indoctrination unfortunately. Maybe if you were to let go of your religion, things will become more clearer.

[ANOTHER] 'Islam comes from the word salaam which means peace' It comes from the triconsonantal root SLM. It means 'submission' (to God). [Guardian Cif] Read more