16 July 2014

Tesco Apologises After Muslim Worker Refuses To Serve Ham And Wine

Supermarket giant Tesco has rushed to apologise after a Muslim worker refused to serve a customer seeking to buy ham and wine saying he was fasting for Ramadan.

Shopper Julie Cottle complained after the Tesco cashier at a manned till at the supermarket's Express branch in Neasden Lane asked her to use the self-service checkout.

Cottle told the Brent and Kilburn Times: “He pointed at the ham and wine in my basket and said ‘I can’t serve you that because I’m fasting’”.

“When I told him he should be serving customers not turning them away he still refused telling me to go to the self-service. I was furious.”

[A COMMENT] As a Muslim, I agree with the general consensus on here. He knew what the job entailed before he agreed to join. Asking for special dispensation after signing on is not on.

[ANOTHER] I see the problem here, if you must believe in some archaic medieval religion, then keep that religion to yourself, and don't allow it to rule your life. BUT MOST OF ALL DO NOT TRY AND FORCE YOUR WISHES ONTO OTHERS.

[ANOTHER] That's some silly religious person who deserves to lose their job. Perhaps it is Tescos fault for not clearing up this sort of nonsense beforehand with it's employees.

There is no religious proscription for touching packaged ham or alcohol before, during or after Ramadan..if you don;t wish to serve the general Public then you are in the wrong profession. [The Huffington Post UK] Read more