06 October 2014

The niqab makes me feel liberated, and no law will stop me from wearing it

.... Tony Abbott and Jacqui Lambie say that any restriction on the burqa or niqab is a matter for national security. I completely understand, but their claims are ignorant: in fact it is is part of sharia law that we must uncover our faces for identification. When I went to get a parking permit at my university, I asked if I needed to show my face.

Banning the niqab or burqa would take away my right to live in the way that fits me. That restricts my freedom and puts me in a position where I must be especially cautious of my surroundings. Violence and abuse against Muslim women has increased as a result of the fear-mongering on this issue.

No matter what law is passed on the niqab, it will not stop me from wearing it. I don’t want to be controlled and told what I can and can not wear: that is oppression.

[TOP RATED COMMENT 968 votes] And you should accept that the rest of us are just as free to determined to choose what we deal with and if we decide that someone hiding under a cloth due to lack of personality and intelligence rather than because of it, don't then cry discrimination. Do you wonder whether people may not actually want to see or deal with someone with so much bad faith towards them?

[SECOND 621v] "I feel liberated by the fact that I choose what you see." And I choose what I interact with. This will not include you. If you do not trust me then you are not asking for my trust, either.

[THIRD 598v] "When we meet, I choose what you see". Can you not see why hiding yourself from us is a guarantee that you will be faced with suspicion?

[FOURTH 592v] I don't think I've ever read such a self referential, yet very brief article in a very long time.."I" this "I" that, Perhaps, for a pleasant change, the author could take time out to consider Us & We instead of making the usual demands of her ilk.

[FIFTH 561v] "Violence and abuse against Muslim women has increased as a result of the fear-mongering on this issue"

The greatest perpetrators of violence against muslim women are other muslims.

"I completely understand, but their claims are ignorant: in fact it is is part of sharia law that we must uncover our faces for identification"

So why hasn't the muslim community been proactive in the debate about covering and identification? and I'm not sure that appeals to sharia law will sway people to your arguments.

"When you deal with me, you deal with my mind, my personality, my emotions and what I have to offer as a person – and that’s it."

No we don't. We deal with a person who has their face covered and all the baggage that that entails. [Guardian Cif] Read more