23 March 2015

South African writer hit in the face with a brick after praising Salman Rushdie

A South African author was hit in the face with a brick after praising the writing of Salman Rushdie, a controversial author whose work has angered some Muslims around the world.

Zainub Priya Dala said last week she praised Rushdie’s writing at a school in Durban, a city on the country’s east coast.

A day later, three men hit her in the face with a brick, calling her “Rushdie’s b----”. The men had forced her vehicle off a road and held a knife to her throat.

“My window was open because it was hot,” said Ms Dala to the Sunday Times, a daily newspaper in South Africa. “One man got out from the passenger side, came to my window, held a knife to my throat and called me ‘Rushdie’s b----’ and hit me with a brick,” said Ms Dala, who said she was in shock. [The Telegraph] Read more