14 April 2017

Auckland jewellery shop criticised for 'no burkas' sign

An Auckland shop has come under fire for a policy sign on its front door saying "No burkas".

Avondale's Coffee and Gems store sign was noticed in an image emailed to Auckland Councillor Cathy Casey on Thursday.

"A local sent me pics of the 20 Avondale "Begging Is Banned" signs this afternoon which I forwarded to Auckland Council," she wrote on Facebook.

"I was totally speechless when she also sent me this pic of an Avondale shop door sign."

It's in breach of the Human Rights Act, Cr Casey says.

"I have this morning made an official complaint to the Human Rights Commission," she said on Friday.

But owner Louise Brinsden says it's an important rule for purchasing from the public, and is for staff safety.

"We are a jewellery store run by females located in Avondale. We deal in high value items and it is a security precaution. [Newshub] Read more