08 May 2017

Pub apology after Muslim customer was wrongly served pork in side dish

A pub has apologised after a Muslim diner was served pork in a dish of chilli chips.

Naz Ali, who had never eaten the meat in line with his faith, had gone to Farmer John’s in Streetly with family and friends.

The 39-year-old truck driver ordered a burger and the side of chilli cheese fries, which contained a meat he assumed was chicken.

But after eating about a quarter of the dish he checked with a waitress - who told him it was pork.

Mr Ali said: “My friend is a Sikh and we had been joking about not having bacon on the burgers we ordered, but the waitress didn’t pick up on it at all.

“I fancied a side to go with the burger, so I ordered the chill chips.

“It had what I thought was chicken stuck right in the middle.

“My friend said I should check what I was eating so I asked the waitress and at first she had no idea. Then she came back and said she was really, really sorry because it was pork.

“I had food in my mouth and I spat it out and went to the toilet, where I was sick. I felt degraded.” [Birmingham Mail] Read more